Manufacturers are sneaky people. The simple truth is they’re out to make money, which is legitimate. But there are times when they do that in not-so-legitimate ways. Sometimes, that means adding buzzwords to their products that will make people pay more. It also means putting terms and conditions in a tiny text that they think we won’t notice. And unfortunately, it means flat-out lying to customers about the product they’re getting.
Companies have always looked for easy ways to make a buck. If customers will buy it, they’ll produce it — especially if it’s easy for them to make. After all, why focus on making better products if your audience will buy the old ones in new packaging?
But most consumers have realized that manufacturers aren’t always their friends. People are getting smarter about the way they shop. And because of that, those old tricks that companies use to convince them that they’re getting a better product aren’t cutting it.
So, watch out, companies. You can put things in brighter packaging but we weren’t born yesterday. At the end of the day, it’s up to them to deliver on what they promise.
1. When they tried to tell us Snickers bars were double size
2. When “approximately 40 inches actually meant 28
3. When they said this packaging was biodegradable
4. When they dangled the phrase “Free Beer”
5. When they thought we wouldn’t read past the first line
6. When this olive oil was actually 90 percent sunflower oil
7. When they tried to make a tiny portion size look big
8. When they said they were resizing
9. When this knife was made of copper and also steel
10. When the label hid how much product we were getting
11. When the free kettle wasn’t really free
12. When the portions didn’t fit the box
13. When they disguised an ad as an emergency alert
14. When they tried to make food look better than it was
15. When their “bigger” wasn’t really better
16. When they tried to charge 40 cents a minute for parking
17. When they disguised ads as parking citations
18. When they hid the right download button in a bunch of fakes
19. When they flat-out lied
20. When there were terms and conditions
Please SHARE this with your friends and family.